College Prep LVS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week of February 10th

+4
audrey_cornell
Anna Larson
EmileeParker061902
Admin
8 posters
Go down
Admin
Admin
https://collegepreplvs.forumotion.com

Week of February 10th Empty Week of February 10th

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:31 am
Hello and welcome to our College Prep forum.  This is where you will post the most interesting readings of your week and your thoughts about those.  For the week of Feb. 10, please post the title and links to your top five articles/stories and a brief commentary about them.  

Remember, the things you should discuss are:
-  Questions the articles raise
-  Pieces of writing you might develop based on the articles
-  ideas or topics you want to explore in future reading.
-  What drew you to the pieces
-  how you might use this as a mentor text to influence your own writing

Sentence starters that may help you:
-  this article makes me wonder
-  I'm curious about...
-  based on this article, I might write...
-  I was instantly hooked on this piece of writing because...
-  The most interesting elements of this writing are....

So, please reply to this thread.  I look forward to seeing where your reading has taken you.
EmileeParker061902

Week of February 10th Empty Re: Week of February 10th

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:02 am
(I am unable to post external links to this forum, so I will send them in Buzz or edit them in after my account has been active for 7 days,)

The Evolution of Ecology
This article is the first article I actually read, and it raised the question of "just how old is ecology?" for me. This was a good fit for my first article because, on the topic of the history of ecology, it makes a good start; it involves applying historical knowledge of an area in the management of ecosystems. I might use this as a mentor text to influence my own writing to explain how to use the history of an area to help with taking care of it in the future.

History of Ecology
I was very excited to read this article because of the format. It was simple and easy to find certain points in history, along with discoveries and notable figures in the history of ecology. The attention it gives to natural disasters and semi-modern or still relevant issues such as pollution and how it is being dealt with is also an idea that I would be interested in pursuing in the future. This could be used to influence my own writing to give me vague ideas of points in history I could focus on and research.

History of Ecology
Right away I was interested to leaf through all of this article. The table of contents let me know that there was a lot of subject matter to be read and that meant that I could learn a lot from this article. The section on  conservation and environmental movements was the most interesting part for me because that is my particular field of interest, so that was a topic I read through a few times. This is a gold mine of information on the history of this science, so it could be used in a lot of ways as a foundation for writing about just about any subject it covers.

Complete History of Ecology
This was another article I enjoyed the formatting of. It does a good job of summarizing the evolution of ecology in small panels categorized by the time periods that certain important points came about. This article also focuses a bit more on Earnst Haeckel at the start and explains the roots of the word ecology. Pieces of writing that could be developed based on this article could be about the very beginnings of ecology in the 4th century B.C.E. This can also help in writing because it provides so much information and the various important points in ecology that can be easily explored. I would like to learn more about how ecology came to be before it was actually considered ecology.

History of Ecology
As soon as I saw the mention of the father of taxonomy, I was excited to read this article. It explains a lot about some of the major contributors of ecology. It also talks more about ecology leading into the twentieth century and explains how ecology was affected by the war. This is important because it can tell us why certain methods and principles were adopted at the time. Pieces of writing that could be developed as a result of this could be about the scientists mentioned in this article and how they contributed to the science.
Anna Larson

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:56 pm
(I am also unable to post external links, so I'll post them in Buzz)

The 10 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes

This article was one of my favorites. Not only was it thorough, but it was also concise. This helped to stay engaged with the text, and therefore to understand it better. While this article addressed many of the common mistakes fiction writers make, one of its topics, “Editing As You Go”, stood out to me. It made me wonder if perhaps I was doing too much editing while writing, when instead, I should just get the story completely written, then come back and edit it. Not only would this keep me from getting discouraged and giving up on my story, but it would probably help me to focus on the plot more. Pieces of writing that I could be developed based on the article might be about why writers give up on their stories or how to overcome self-doubt while writing. These could also be good topics I could explore for future readings. Overall, this article was helpful in showing me how to resolve some of my writing errors, and I could use it as a mentor text for when I’m trying to explain to someone how to fix their story.

5 Story Mistakes Even Good Writers Make

I was not immediately drawn to this article like I was to the first one. However, as I started reading, I realized this article was more thorough, especially in discussing how writers can fix the mistakes they make. One of the mistakes it discussed was the overuse of symbolism. Until now, I had thought lots of symbolism in a story was good thing, but this article made me question that. It gave an example of where a writer repeatedly used scenes involving water to emphasize the theme of cleansing or rebirth, to the point where, the reader became bored with the book because they knew what was going to happen next—more water. From this, I have learned that too much symbolism can be a bad thing. Based on this article, I might develop a piece of writing about how much symbolism is too much. And, staying with the topic of symbolism, I would like some of my future readings to explore not only how much of it to use, but how and when to properly use it, so that my understanding of symbolism can be complete.  

What Is Theme & Why Does It Matter?

I have always struggled with theme, and that is why I was drawn to this article. It explained what theme really is and made me wonder what theme I would like for a story I might write. Before, I thought of theme more as a plot, but after reading this article I realized theme is something you can describe with one word, like forgiveness or hope. Because of this article, I might explore what the most common themes of books are and write a piece about them. This article showed me how important theme is and gave example of how it was used in a story. I could use the example in the article as a mentor text when developing themes for my stories.

Don’t misuse – or overuse – dialogue tags

Just like theme, dialogue tags always confuse me. Some writer’s excessively use them, others don’t. That’s why I was drawn to this article. I wanted to know once and for all how to properly use them. Still, after reading this article, I was left wondering if how and when to use dialogue tags is based more on the writer’s opinion. I think the answer is yes, just as long as the dialogue tags let the reader know who is speaking, without overdoing it. Based on this article, I might develop a piece of writing that explores how other authors use dialogue tags and decide which way is the most effective.

Improve Your Dialogue: Remove Those Adverbial Dialogue Tags

The use of adverbial dialogue tags is an ongoing debate amongst writers. The general consensus is to remove them, like this article says, though I was always skeptical. I found adverbial dialogue tags were an easy way to show a character’s emotion, but after reading this article, I am convinced otherwise. Instead of telling how a character feels, it is best to show it through dialogue or action, rather than an adverbial dialogue tag. This made me wonder how I can go back through the stories I have written and improve them. I could change the adverbial dialogue tags to just action tags or just remove the tags completely. Based on this article, I might write a piece examining examples of good action tags, and I also think action tags are something I want to explore further, perhaps in a future reading.
audrey_cornell

Week of February 10th Empty Billie Eilish

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:30 pm
How Billie Eilish is Reinventing Pop Stardom
I really liked this article because it taught me a lot about Billie and how she is as a person. Based on this article, I might write something about how Billie overcame her insecurities. That part of the article really spoke to me and I think it's important to share the impact of depression on teenage girls. I was instantly hooked on this piece of writing because I thought the writing style was interesting and very descriptive.

Billie Eilish and Her Brother and Co-Writer, Finneas, Get Deep About Their Music and What’s Next
I enjoyed this article because it gave me a lot of insight on how Billie and her brother Finneas write their songs. It makes me wonder more about how Billie and her brother get their inspiration for their music. Based on this article, I might write something about how unconventional singers write their music and how they're trying to break apart from the mold. The most interesting elements of this writing are all of the quotes from Billie and Finneas, that way you can learn a lot directly from them about their songwriting process.

Billie Eilish and the Triumph of the Weird
This was definitely my favorite article. It really goes in depth about who Billie is as a person and what her interests are outside of music. The most interesting elements of this writing are the in depth description, you can really see what's going on as the interview is happening. It describes Billie really well and gives the reader a sense of what she is like as a person.

Billie Eilish: Nobody That Knows Me Thinks I'm a Dark Person
This article makes me wonder more about what Billie is like in real life, she seems to have an act that she puts on for her music. Based on this article, I might write a piece on the comparison between 'music Billie' and 'real Billie'. I was instantly hooked on this piece of writing because I like to know what famous people that I admire are actually like in real life. The most interesting elements of this writing are the quotes from Billie.

How Billie Eilish Took Control of Her Career Without Losing Her Soul
This article makes me wonder how much bigger Billie's going to get. She's already won 5 Grammy's, had billions of streams on her songs, and is only 18 years old. Based on this article, I might write a piece on the impact that Billie has had on music and culture. I was instantly hooked on this piece of writing because it includes many quotes from her family members, which gives the reader an inside look at what Billie is like from the ones who know her best. The most interesting elements of this writing are the deep research the author did on Billie and behind-the-scenes information about Billie's career in music.
lcecil1

Week of February 10th Empty Dogs Are More Than Just a Pet

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:20 pm
Slimmer Dogs, Longer Lives:
This being the first article that I read, a specific question hit me, “what are we doing wrong that we cannot treat dogs the same way we would treat our children?”
As a dog mom, this is shocking to me that in 2016, 54% of dogs were considered obese. If these animals are considered our furry friends, why are we not taking care of them in a much better way. The article raises questions such as “how are you feeding your pet and are they living a healthy lifestyle?”

The Five Love Languages of Dogs:
Based on this article I might write about the psychological benefits of having a dog and what they can do for your mental and overall health. I have a personal connection with animals, especially dogs. My dog Duke, for example, has benefited me and helped with my mental health as I struggle with severe anxiety and depression. This article has informed me so much about the physical affection and the meaning behind certain moves and acts behind dogs.

Three Long Term Pans to Make for Your Pet:
Having an animal comes with its pros and cons. When it comes to safety and necessities, this article taught me that having a dog can be a long term financial promise. I am curious about the factors that play a role in what kind of vet bill you are getting and why. I am also curious how many americans plan ahead on “emergencies” for their animals,

Interview With Clive Wynne about Dog is Love:
This text is going to influence my writing because of the dynamics of this subject in the article. This article sparked an idea of writing about the psychology of dogs and their behavior towards humans/their owners. This article interested me the most because of the idea of how dogs have genetically changed over time and that to me is very interesting.

When Can I Stop Rewarding My Dog?:
This article talked about the idea that too many rewards can cause your dog to change its behavior and not take you seriously. I am curious about how loyalty relates to behavior if treated too much. When is it considered “too much?” I want to learn more about how to keep your pets loyal while also making them feel loved and not neglected by their owner(s).
Lindsey Stamps

Week of February 10th Empty The Reality of Art Careers

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:39 pm
How to make a living from your art:

This article is about making a living from your own art. I was instantly hooked by this piece of writing because I was interested in how people make money on their art since I have always heard about how hard this hobby is to make money on. I really like art and if I could transform this hobby into a career I would be very happy with this which is why I was drawn to this article. However, this article is more about how artists felt after their first big hit and how they managed this along with their normal lives. Some of the artists in this article talk about the insecurities they feel or how social media affects them and I found it interesting how they were able to manage these emotions along with creating art.

How to kickstart your art career:

This article talks more about how to start this art career. It is in a sort of list format so that the reader can check off and follow each step with ease. I liked this article it is extremely helpful for a beginner that might not know where to start. I bring up things like making a portfolio or approaching a gallery. This is a helpful article which has many helpful tips for those hoping to create a sustainable career.

How to get started as an artist:

I like this article because it took a different approach on how to start a career in art. Some of the most notable things like finding your own style and creating a safe space for art. This article was orientated more on the artsy part of the career but it still managed to bring up a lot of good points.

Popular careers in art:

This article is very helpful for people who may not know what art career they want. Not only is it traditional art but it also brings up music-themed careers, fashion, and some others. This article also has some tips from the author and answered questions that I think are helpful as well.

Choosing art as a career:

This last article interested me because it kind of gave an overview of everything a person asks themselves when considering a career. It asked questions like “what qualifications should you get for an art career?”, and “What career options are there for artists?”.This article made me realize that there were so many art careers and that even though the art scene is competitive it isn’t impossible. I also like that this article talked about becoming a fine artist. Although in my opinion, this career is the hardest to make money from I liked that the article shed light on it and it tells us that if we are willing then it is possible to turn this into a profitable career.
Kris Schutzel

Week of February 10th Empty League of Legends

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:16 pm
The Origin Story of League of Legends.
  This was the first article I read, and it explains how League of Legends was created. League of Legends is one of my favorite video games which is why I read this article.  As a new company, things didn’t always go as planned. The development team didn’t want to play the game at first because it was bad.  The entire development team left at one point. Their game was free, so they got a lot of players from Asia.

This esports giant draws in more viewers than the Super Bowl, and it’s expected to get even bigger

This article explains how many online viewers watch League of Legends and how much revenue it brings in. The 2018 North American Final game had 600 thousand viewers, while the 2017 world championship had almost 100 million unique viewers.  League of Legends generates a lot of revenue through esports and plans to expand to college and high school teams in the future.

Here's the insane training schedule of a 20-something professional gamer

This article explains how much time professional players play video games. One team plays a minimum of 50 hours per week. Korean players often play much more, such as 12-14 hours a day of practice. Esports teams make money through sponsorship videos such as advertisements. The ads may feature the players showcasing a product.

Kansas to add varsity League of Legends in 2020

This short article explains that Kansas University has launched an varsity esports program that will be playing league of legends. Over 130 colleges now have a varsity esports program. I find this interesting that they have a coach and tryouts like a traditional sport.

Hitting the gym makes esports athletes more successful

This article explains that esports players get physical exercise regularly like a traditional sport athlete. Regular exercise is not only important but it also improves the players gameplay. Many professional players get physical exercise daily and even have a chef to make sure the players eat balanced meals. The specific workout regimen varies greatly from person to person.
lcecil1

Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:28 pm
How To Treat Skin Allergies in Dogs Naturally:
This article informed me on the real issue with allergies and skin conditions in dogs. I personally did not know that dogs could have dermatitis or eczema. Dogs can gain skin conditions at a puppy age and sometimes, they never grow out of it. With the right shampoo and treatment, skin conditions can be controllable. It is important to recognize dryness, redness, hair loss and lesions. My question is how can we get the correct treatment for all owners without breaking the bank? What are some alternatives? A future title could be “Look Beyond the Fur.”

Magnesium for Dogs:
Everyday, there is more and more in the medical field for people and animals to benefit from. One of which on the rise is Magnesium. Magnesium is said to relieve sore bones/joints, help calm nerves, promote healthy sleep and help with surgery recovery. I have found that it is super important to look deeper into a dogs health. A simple supplement could benefit a dogs everyday life. My question is, why is this not a more known fact and are people aware of the benefits of this supplement? My future title could be “Benefit Your Dog With More Than Just Treats.”

The Latest in Luxury Dog Beds:
It is the job of a pet owner to make sure that their pet is happy and healthy. Physically, some dogs require more support than others. In big dogs especially, it is important to provide support for bone and joint health. Too many owners do not want to spend money on dog beds due to the price, but if budgeted and correctly fit, it can be easy to clean and can last a very long time if invested in a good dog bed. My ideas from this article surrounded finding more than just a bed to comfort and benefit a dogs bone and joint health. My title is “Dogs Deserve Support Too.”

Covid-19 and Planning for Your Pet:
This article is about preparation for the lockdown due to COVID-19. Too many pet owners are not prepared for the lockdown and making sure that their animals have enough supplies until the lockdown is over. My question is, can owners still get supplies as needed during this lockdown? It is important to be able to have food for yourself and your families but who is thinking about the animals? This article inspired me to think about how to prepare for tragedies and always have back up just in case things like COVID-19 arise. A future title could be “Are Owners Prepared for Emergencies?”

Thank Heaven We Have Dogs:
This article was all about COVID-19. The idea of social isolation is not all bad for some people, especially if you have animals, you may not feel as isolated. The article makes a point that animals are coming into an important role in “company” while the world is “turning around.” My question is what will happen to the dogs during this isolation? Will they be able to feel the world changing and getting worse? This article made me more interested in getting to understand the emotions of these animals as they go through exactly what we go through. I want to further study their reactions. I like the idea of “What Are The Dogs Thinking?”
Hbrooks02

Week of February 10th Empty Marissa Meyer

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:37 pm
Universe of Marissa Meyer
I am thinking of using this website as a reference for some of the major pieces of information about both the author as well as her books. The website makes me wonder about whether or not Marissa Meyer was able to portray each character as she was hoping. Seeing how readers see the characters is also very entertaining. I may write about the characters as well as the creativity that went behind each of them.

Marissa Meyer's website
The entirety of her website is full of information on both her as well as all of her books. It's full of interesting facts about how she thought of ideas and her characters. The FAQ is helpful when it comes to questions that many may have thought of and already asked. Hearing her responses will help me write about her processes.

Book Series Recaps - Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles
These articles recap and review the series lunar Chronicles. It's given me ideas for my own blog. However, the articles contain spoilers that may ruin the books for others.

Lunar Chronicles Fandom on Wiki
I love this website! There are so many other people who post and comment about the Lunar Chronicles as well as Marissa Meyer. There are areas on the website that show the characters, their description as well as the book descriptions. It's a huge area for fellow fans to talk about something that they all have in common: their love of Marissa Meyer and the Lunar Chronicles.

Marissa Meyer: The world isn’t made of only white people, so fictional worlds shouldn’t be either - The Guardian
This website is absolutely amazing. It's an interview with Marissa Meyer on how she, as well as her books, works. It shows her creativity and passion for her work. It shows an inside view of part of her past as well as her present. She discusses her own passions, as we are doing in this assignment.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum