College Prep LVS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chloie Miles

First Forum Post (James Charles) Empty First Forum Post (James Charles)

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:33 pm
https://www.vogue.com.au/beauty/news/why-an-entire-generation-is-obsessed-with-beauty-youtuber-james-charles/news-story/556e1244c236643eceac30be3cd9b2ac

Why an entire generation is obsessed with beauty Youtuber James Charles

The main thing that caught my eye, was that this article was posted by Vogue. Vogue is one of my favorite websites and magazines to find articles in. The second thing that caught my eye was the title. I was curious to see if it actually answered the question as to why a generation is "obsessed" with James.  After reading the article, it made sense.  Many teens spend hours and hours on social media. James is twenty years old. He was a teen when he got into makeup. Being such a young age, he is relatable to many young people. Especially since he is part of the lgbtq community. He posts about real life personal matters, in which his fans, and millions of followers have respect for. This helps them relate to them even more.

https://www.allure.com/story/covergirl-james-charles-controversy

CoverGirl James Charles and the Rise of the Beauty Boy

This article caught my eye because it mentioned CoverGirl. I expected to go into this article reading about how or at least when he got his debut with CoverGirl. Instead it started talking about the word "Hate" and transitioned into focusing on the word "Courage". Because it took courage for the following; He came out at the age of twelve, and how his parents were supportive. Also, few years later he decides to play with makeup. Then it mentions at the age of seventeen CoverGirl decides to make him the first male cover boy. This made me even more curious to how he started Makeup and why. It also made me question how he came out to his parents, and how he deals with hate. I dug deeper and found some more information about his CoverGirl times, and when he did makeup for the first time. I will probably dig later into the future to see if there is something explaining how James came out to his parents, and how he decided that it was the right time.

https://www.thelist.com/128396/the-untold-truth-of-james-charles/

The untold truth of James Charles

This article also got my attention because of the title. I was questioning if this article was going to be short and sweet, with hardly any details. To my surprise, it wasn't. It talks about how James is multitalented, he's good with art along with Singing. It mentions that he even learned how to do hair at a young age. I was really excited to find out how he got his start in makeup. I haven't watched every single one of his videos, because I didn't become a fan until about 2018, so it is possible that he has mentioned this before and I just didn't catch it. He had a friend that was running late to have her makeup done, because of her hair. Even though he had never done makeup before, he agreed to attempt it. The look turned out amazing and he bought his first ever makeup kit. It's really inspiring that one little event can change your life forever.

https://neoreach.com/james-charles-net-worth-from-makeup-to-millions/

James Charles Net Worth: From Makeup to Millions

This article, that is more like a blog, contains many interesting facts about James Charles, which is what kept me reading.  It talks about where he's from, and even mentions he originally started out wanting to be a hairstylist. I didn't know that either! It also states the dates that he came out with his palette. The palette sold out within hours, which is crazy. It also gives some more insight on his net worth. Then it gives some details about a feud that started with him and Tati Westbrook. Which I have another article for that talks all about that.

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/16/18617895/james-charles-tati-westbrook-feud-drama-3-million-subscribers

James Charles, Tati Westbrook, and the feud that's ripping apart Youtube's beauty community

The reason I chose a separate article, is because I feel like this needs to be addressed. I chose this particular one because I felt like this one gave the most details in one big article.  It goes back to the very beginning and how they met. Then it goes into all of the drama. In which in mentions how it all started at coachella, where James needed help, and a vitamin company "saved" him. He posted the brand on an instagram story thanking them. Tati was upset because these vitamins were her compitition. She feels as if she made James, and that he betrayed her, because he never even posted her brand. Then a lot of other beauty gurus chime in, such as Jeffree Star. For weeks, all anyone would see were videos, and posts about the whole situation. In my opinion it went way out of proportion. A question that this makes me think is if there was something more going on. I wonder if they were arguing before this, so she snapped. I also wonder if for some reason a lot of them were mad at James, and wanted to see if they could end his career. Unfortunately, James lost a lot of followers overnight. Then when the apology videos were released, James gained all of his back and then some. Then Tati lost a lot of her followers as a result. Jeffery and Tati accused him of some very bad things, and then decided they took it too far pretty much.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum